Active Door

The door in a pair of doors (eg/ bi-parting sliding or french doors) that is the first to open and the door that the lock is applied to.

Air Gap

Space between the panes of glass in an insulating glass unit (IGU), eg/ double glazing.


An opening, hole or gap, often used in reference to mesh types or the moulding of aluminium extrusion.

Argon Gas

An inert, non-toxic gas injected into an air gap to assist in insulation by reducing heat transfer.

Awning Window

A window that is hinged at the top and opens outwards from the bottom.

Bay Window

Series of windows assembled in a polygon or square shape that project outward from the face of a house.

Bifold Door

Bifold doors consist of two or more panels, hinged at one side, that open in a fan-fold motion.

Brick Opening

Opening in a brick wall into which, window or door frames are installed.

Casement Window

Casement windows are hinged on one side, opening like a door, controlled by a crank handle fixed to the frame.

Colonial Windows/ Colonial Bars

Colonial windows are configured with horizontal and vertical colonial bars, creating a grid-like pattern on the glass panes to complement period style homes.


The deposit of water vapour from the air on any cold surface with a temperature below dew point, such as cold window glass or frames that are exposed to humid air indoors.

Cover Plates

Vertical cover plates are used to join two windows side by side or around a corner, manufactured using thin aluminium either flat or bent to shape.

Double Glazing

Also known as IGU (Insulating Glass Units), double glazing consists of two panels of glass with an air gap in between (sometimes with Argon Gas injected), to improve insulation and reduce heat transfer through the glass.

Double Hung Window

A window that has two vertically moving sashes, controlled by spring spiral balances.

Drain Hole

A hole that is punched or drilled into the sill of a window that allows water to drain out of the frame.


Refers to the aluminium profiles that are used in a window. An extrusion is produced from an aluminium billet (block of aluminium), that is heated until soft, then molded through a die with an aperture, to create the shape of the section.

Factory Glazed

Windows that are glazed in the factory before delivery to site.

Fixed Light /Lite

Fixed section of a window where the glass cannot be opened.

Fixing Lug

Bracket used to fasten the window frame into the building.


Metal or plastic strip attached to the outside of the head or side jambs to provide a weather barrier, preventing leaks from between the frame and wall.

Flashing Fin

Perimeter fin that is an integral part of the frame extrusions.

Fly Screen

Frame containing fly wire, fitted to the opening sash on a window to allow the window to be opened without letting in flies and other pests.


The main components that make up a window: head, sill jambs, mullion and transom.

French Door

Hinged doors, either single or double, that open outwards or inwards.

Glazing Bead

Strip or trim surrounding the edge of the glass in a window or door that holds the glass in place.


The components used to operate a window or door (eg/ a door handle, hinges or window winder).


Refers to the top of a window or door frame.


Fixing of the window or door frame on site, into the building framework.


IGO or Insulating Glass Units, consist of two or more panels of glass, separated by air and sealed around the edges to limit heat transfer through the glass.


Refers to the sides of a window or door frame.

Laminated Glass

A type of grade A safety glass that holds together when broken. In the event of breakage, it is held in place by an interlayer, typically of polyvinyl Butyral (PVB), between it's two or more layers of glass.

Left Hand

To describe a component or design. Always in reference to the view from the outside.

Lights /Lites

Lights are individual sections of glass within a window that do not open.

Louvres /Louvre Windows

Windows comprising of a series of glass blades/slats, overlapping each other when closed (similar to a shutter).


The portion of the window that is below the transom, which does not open.


Vertical framing member/bar between window units.


The timber surround that is factory fitted to aluminium windows. It is attached to the fin or reveal pocket and used for installing a window or door into timber framing.

Right Hand

To describe a component or design. Always in reference to the view from the outside.


The operable/moving section of the window, inclusive of the glass and frame material that holds it together.


Fixed, often narrow glass section, located next to a window or door.


The bottom, horizontal section of a window or door frame.

Sill Flap

Vinyl seal fitted to the underside of the window to accommodate variations due to building settlement.

Single Glazing

Single pane or sheet of glass.

Site Glaze

Window glazed after the frame is installed into the building.

Sliding Window

A window operated by horizontally sliding the sash or sashes across the fixed light.

Standard Window / Door

A window or door manufactured to a standard (or regularly produced) size and configuration.

Stud Opening

Refers to the frame opening in a timber framed wall in which a window or door will be installed.

Toughened Glass

Glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase strength compared with normal glass. If broken it will shatter into many small pieces as opposed to large dangerous shards.


A horizontal framing member/bar between a window and lowlight.


Window supplied ex-factory without glass.

UV Transmission

The percentage of the sun's harmful ultra violet (UV) rays transmitted through glass.


Measurement of the rate of heat loss or gain through the glass. The lower the U-value, the better the glass is performing in regards to insulation.

Weather Flap (Baffle Seal)

Flap system within the sill of the window, designed to allow water to escape and to prevent wind blowing directly back through the drain slots. Not to be confused with an undersill flap which fits under the window sill to allow for building settlement.


Alternative name for a drain hole. A small opening in a window sill, through which water may drain to the building exterior.

Weather Seal

A material applied to a door or window to seal the openings, gaps or cracks made, in order to block rain, snow and cold air.

Window Energy Rating Scheme (WERS)

A system of rating the energy efficiency of windows and doors in Australia.

H Refers to product height.
W Refers to product width.
In the absence of height and width indications, window and door dimensions are always referred to as height x width.